Saturday, 7 May 2011

Familiar furnishings

These photos are from the peoples collection at Beamish museum and show the interior of the chapel at High town Westgate.
To regular drinkers in the Hare and Hounds the pews and metal grills will be familiar to them as they were to the regular congregation of the former chapel. The pub and the Chapel were built by the same masons in the early 1790's. When the chapel ceased to be a place of worship some of the chapel fittings were removed and had a new lease of life in another place of popular worship.